Gopal,

Vincent is right about numerics not being a factor, even packed or binary. He's method will work fine - if you're comparing the record 1 : 2, record 3 :4, etc. If you want to compare record 1 :2, record 2 : 3, etc., you would have to code it a bit differently.

However, you never defined the basis on which you want to do this comparison. If you are comparing sequentially, either by key or arrival, a method like Vincent outlined would work. If it's a random compare based upon a criteria you haven't shown, then the access would be different and may even mean defining with table twice in your F-specs. More specifics might be helpful in this regard.

Thanks.

        * Jerry C. Adams
*iSeries/i5 Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
        615.893.8633x152
fax
        615.995.1201
email
        jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Forbes, Vincent wrote:

Gopal

The internally described method will still work & it does not mater whether
the data is character or numeric.  It is just a string of data.  Printing it
out means that you would have to define the printed fields.

For one file you can...

Read file1
Temp1 = Data1
Read file1
If Data1 <> Temp1
Etc.

Or you can create a logical over the file & have it as file2.

\Vincent