Hi Matt,

<quote>
After the first call is the object marked as damaged?  You did not mention
if you delete the DSPF and PGM before creating them.  Does doing that have
any impact?
</quote>

Here's an example:

1) If I create the display file and program (deleting the originals first)
and call the program, then it hangs on the "update sfl1" line. The CPU goes
through the roof and the aux I/O goes way up (hundreds of thousands of I/O).
The I/O to the subfile remains static and the RPG program does nothing
except wait for the update to complete. For all intents and purposes it
looks like a lock wait - you know, when an update hangs and you know in 30
secs you're going to get an escape message. Except this time it simply sits
there eating up CPU and I/O. Control is never returned to the RPG program
and we have to kill the program.

2) If I end the call and re-call the program it simply crashes when
attempting to open the display file. This occurs on ALL subsequent calls,
from any user, from any job. This would suggest that the display file is
corrupted.

3) If I recreate the display file (deleting the original) then the first
time anybody calls the program it hangs on the "update sfl1" line. ANY
subsequent calls from any user, from any job crashes when attempting to open
the display file.

It's a funny one. It would appear that the first use of the file damages it
and renders it useless. But more worryingly is what memory has been trampled
on by this? I mean, over 600,000 I/O has got to be reading/writing somewhere
in auxilliary storage - and I know that it isn't within the display file
object because when an attempt to re-open it occurs it falls over with a
specific error that the pointer within the display file is pointing to
memory OUTSIDE the object. That's really, really scary.

Cheers

Larry