From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Larry Ducie
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 10:26 AM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Problem with field selection subfile on V5R3M0

Hi,

We have a display file containing a field selection subfile (sflpag =
sflsiz) which has been compiled on a V5R3M0 machine. This subfile is
built
using a RPGLE program - pretty standard stuff. We are getting a problem
as
follows:

1) When the DSPF is first created and the RPG program called, the
program is
hanging on a line which updates the subfile (update sfl1). When we look
at
the job we see the following:

The I/O of the application files (option 14 - F11 from DSPJOB) does not
increase.

The call stack entries do not change.

The thread information (option 20 from DSPJOB) is displaying a rapidly
increasing total CPU, and a rapidly increasing Aux I/O.

The job is using 53% of total CPU and in status RUN.

To give you an idea of the problem - when we killed the call to the
program
the I/O on the subfile was 11, but the aux I/O was 162,528! What was
being
written/updated/deleted??? As I have already said, the program was
simply
sitting on an update to the subfile, no I/O is performed on any
application
files, but CPU and aux I/O is through the roof. Again, these values were

increasing extremely rapidly.

2) When we try to call the program again it falls over trying to open
the
display file. We get the message: Space offset X'00001674' or
X'0000000000000000' is outside current limit for object PMTWKFPRM, and
the
program dumps. It would appear that the first use of the display file
renders it completely unusable - to the point that a DSPFD forces a
dump,
and a DSPFFD forces a dump. I can only assume that the system has run
off
thinking it's modifying (adding many records to) the display file object
-
thus setting the internal segment pointers in the header to spurious
values.
Is this possible? Given that subsequent calls fail during the open of
the
display file I can only assume that the space offset in question is
retrieved from the display file. Of course, I could be wrong.

Does anybody know if this is a known problem with the compiler (DDS or
RPG)?
We are compiling on a V5R3M0 development machine, but the objects are
being
compiled at V5R2M0 (compiler 5722SS1 V5R3M0  050428).

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Larry Ducie