I think that what you have is more of a timing issue. If you check for
F12 immediately after the EXFMT you should not get an error. For
example:

C                   EXFMT     SCREEN1
 * CHECK FOR END OF JOB                                        *

 C                   EXSR      ENDJOB

 * SUBROUTINE CHECK FOR END OF JOB                             *
C     ENDJOB        BEGSR
C                   IF        *IN12 = *ON
C                   EVAL      *INLR = *ON
C                   RETURN
C                   ENDIF
C                   ENDSR

> message: 1
> date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:24:45 -0700
> from: "Douglas W. Palme" <dpalme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> subject: Unusual date / time stamp error when EXFMT is run
>
> I have a DSPF wherein the user can either enter in some information for a
> report, IE: start date, end date, class and cat of freight.  when they
> hit
> the enter key the program will process the data and then submit the
> report
> to batch.
>
> The DSPF has two date fields which are defined as type L, DSTARTDATE and
> DENDDATE, with a DATFMT(*USA) parameter.
>
> If the user wishes to exit the program they simply strike the F12 key
> which
> in turn turns on *IN12 which is used to exit the program.
>
> I set it up this way to allow the user to submit more than one report to
> batch....it loops until the *IN12 is turned on.  However if a user starts
> the program and then decides before entering any dates to F12 out, it
> generates an error when it tries to read the DSPF.....is there any way to
> avoid this problem?
>

> If you bought it, it was hauled by a truck - somewhere, sometime.

Thanks,
Terry