I personally don't use CL in any new projects. I actually just re-wrote my
initial program in RPG, using APIs. ;-)

Here's how I handle the stuff. First of all, system() is much easier to use
than QCMDEXC, in my opinion. In case you haven't used it, you prototype it
as follows:

D system PR 10I 0 ExtProc('system')
D szCmd * Value
D Options(*String)

D RC S 10I 0 Inz

Then, you can use it as follows:

RC=system('CRTPF ...');

If RC=0, the command was successful. There are more options for checking the
detailed error (see many posts on system())

For specifying which library to find files in (rather than using OVRDBF), I
use the EXTFILE keyword on the F-specs, that tells exactly what library/file
to open. You can even use a variable, and set the file as USROPN. Then, in
your calcs, resolve the variable and open the file. If you need to hit the
file in multiple places, close it, re-resolve the variable, and open it
again. Of course, when you compile, your current library list is searched
for the file, but once compiled, you are in the driver's seat as to which
file to actually open.

Another thing to consider is the use of APIs. When you are using system() or
QCMDEXC to run a CL Command, often times the CL command runs a program that
uses APIs to perform the action. For these, it might be beneficial to just
prototype the API, and call it from within the RPG program. I wrote a
program that displays field level details, in a much more abbreviated
fashion than DSPFFD, and rather than use DSPFFD to an outfile, I used
QUSLRCD, QUSLFLD and QDBRTVFD (to get key data) directly. It is very fast.

But some might say that this approach is too complex, when you can simply
issue a CL command.