From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Igor.Beslic@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 2:02 AM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Using CL to call RPG pgms

Hello!

I have almost 1,5 year expirience in ILE RPG IV and now I realized that almost
evry RPG pgm I've made needed additional CL pgm that shold prepare LIBL, clear
output PFs and perform similar actions after pgm finises...

I'm wondering would it be to complicated to perform all this within RPG pgm
(for example in separate module or subprocedure) with use of different APIs
(QCMDEXC) and explicit file OPENing. (inexaple. if I define file in f spec with
USROPN keyword would I get err. message if file is not in LIBL on pgm start).

I suppose there exist some actions (as file override options for RPG pgm that
will be run) that must be defined in CL??

What is better practice? It's probably metter of programers style but it would
be nice to know how other programers do that.

Is there any situation when this start actions should be performed in CL?

And at last, I realized that all the time I was repeating one error: when I
compiled CL I got OPM CL that calls ILE RPG, what makes my pgms runs in
different ACTGRPs and in case of unhandled exceptions I get inquiry msg for RPG
(when its ACTGRP scope ends) and same inquiry for default OPM CLs ACTGRP.

Should it be enough to create CL source with CLLE attribute and compile ILE CL
it with ACTGRP(*NEW) or some named ACTGRP and copmpile RPG PGMs with
ACTGRP(*CALLER)?

Is there some good literature about ILE CL and some rules that should be
respected when use it to interact with ILE RPG??

I hope that questions aren't  too wide :)

With regards,
Igor Bešlić, dipl. ing. rač.
VOLKSBANK d.d.
OJ Informatika