From: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Date: 08/31/05 15:46:06
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Dumb programming question..

Hi Jon -

>  >> That really simplies the equation.
>
>Does it?  I can't help wondering.  If you "simplify" to the point that a
>knowledge of algebra is needed before you can understand the relationship
of
>the code to the original requirement ... then haven't you obfuscated rather
>than simplified?
>
>The version ( ( FieldA - 1 ) / FieldA ) * 100 is a direct representation of
>the original requirement and there can't be a lot of difference performance
>wise.

I agree with you, except for one issue which I haven't seen mentioned (or
missed seeing).  Because of the intermediate field length issues on divide
operations, I would move the divide to the end ...

( ( FieldA - 1) * 100 ) / FieldA

Since the compiler cannot generate a field with an infinite number of
decimal places, it is always best to eliminate or minimize divide
operations, and keep them as late in the equation as possible.

Ken
http://www.ke9nr.net/
Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of
my employer or anyone in their right mind.