The only reason i ever use the never ending loop is in my screen
programs.  for this purpose, I find it rather handy and very easy to
code and read.

psuedo code below:

dow 1 = 1

exfmt  fmt01

select
when *inkc
exsr  endpgm

when *inkl
leave

when *inkd
exsr prompt
iter

other
exsr  edit

if not errors
exsr  update
leave
end
endsl

enddo

changing the dow to...

dou *inkc or *inkl or updated

...just never appealed to me.

FWIW, i use a priming a read and dow for file processing.