I'm probably late, but SQL or Query would do this without too much work.
In RPG sequential reads--no random I/O--would go pretty fast.  If you
tweak the blocking it would go even faster than the default block size.
If the file is ordered by area code, prefix, and suffix it would be easy
to code and fast.

We do mailing list processing in house and routinely blow through files
with five to ten million records in a matter of minutes. It all involves
read from one file, do something according to criteria known at run time
and write to a new one.