From: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Date: 06/24/05 13:35:46
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Update a spreadsheet with data from iSeries

Hi,

I have a very weird problem updating an .xls with data from iSeries.
The example is taken from Scott's article in iSeriesNetwork.
(How to Update an HSSF Spreadsheet, Nov. 18, 2004)

I have an physical file with the following fields: EU0001 to EU0224.
Alpha and numeric. They have to be updated in the spreadsheet.
By now, I only do testing with the first record in the file.

14 fields can't be updated. The rest is ok.

The code - with one (of the 14) is here:

   cell = HSSFRow_GetCell(Row:  84);
   TempStr = new_String(EU0085);
   HSSFCell_setCellValueStr(cell: TempStr);
   //
     cell = HSSFRow_GetCell(Row:  85);        <-------------ERROR (cell=0)
     TempStr = new_String(EU0086);
     HSSFCell_setCellValueStr(cell: TempStr);
   //
   cell = HSSFRow_GetCell(Row:  86);
   TempStr = new_String(%Char(EU0087));
   HSSFCell_setCellValueStr(cell: TempStr);

Cell no. 85 returns with 0 (zero) which indicates 'no cell found'
and the program dumps in line 3 of the section.

There is nothing wrong with cell no. 85 in the row as I can see.
All fields that gives the error is char. fields.

When I comment out the 14 fields in the program - everything runs
like expected, and the spreadsheet is updated correct.

Has somebody struggled with the same problem and maybe have
a solution for this problem ???

Oh.... OS/400 5.2
Excel 2002 SP3

Best regards,