Okay, I found the answer, and I will put it to the test tomorrow. For the
benefit of the group, I will post it here. Apparently, if you pass NULLs for
the user name and password parameters, to the SQLConnect() API, the user who
is running the program is the user/password authentication that is used.
>From IBMs API documentation:

--> When running in server
mode<http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/ic2924/info/cli/rzadpsqlapd.htm#rzadpsqlapd>,
both szUID and szAuthStr must be passed in order for the connection to run
on behalf of a user ID other than the current user. If either parameter is
NULL, or both are NULL, the connection will be started using the user ID
that is in effect for the current job running the CLI program. <--

This is helpful, because if I have to force our users to re-key their
password in, it would present much difficulty (they have a hard time getting
their password right when signing on ;-) )