I used it once, in 1991!  I was coding a subroutine which formatted a
number in a variety of possible formats, depending on a supplied edit
code.  Edit code X is the interesting one, as negative numbers have an
'overpunch' in the low-order byte.  Older readers who used to punch cards
using a hand-punch will remember the extra hole in the column containing a
negative number.  The code looked like this:

0069.00       *
0070.00       * overpunch if negative
0071.00       *
0072.00      C     C#EDN3        IFLT      *ZERO
0073.00      C                           BITOF    '2'           @EO(@1)
0074.00      C                           END

Even more obscurely, this program required the use of a Move Low to Low
Zone:

0219.00       *
0220.00       * remove any negative overpunch for all codes
0221.00       *
0222.00      C                          MLLZO     +1            @EN9
0223.00       *

Did anyone ever manage to find a use for MHHZO, MHLZO or MLHZO? I suspect
we'll have to go back to the days of paper tape!

Regards

Mike

rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 13/06/2005 19:31:48:

> I took an RPG Assessment test the other day and to my surprise, there
were
> FOUR QUESTIONS! On the results of using BITOF and BITON.
>

> I think that I have used those opcodes maybe twice in 17 years.   Now
either
> I'm not doing something right or the RPG Assessment test from
BrainBench.com