Douglas,

I've seen three ways to use a work file:

1) CRTDUPOBJ (or CPYF) the file into QTEMP from some other master copy
library.

2) CRTPF into QTEMP using DDS stored in some master source library.

3) Use a multiple member work file NOT in QTEMP.  Use the job number of the
job preceded by some character (usually M) as the member name.  ADDPFM
(member might already exist for a reused job number so allow for this
condition), CLRPFM (job numbers get reused so make sure you clear the
member), OVRDBF, RMVM in your process to use that work member.  ADDPFM/RMVM
is a lot faster than CRTDUPOBJ or CRTPF but, if you're not careful with your
OVRDBF, the process could use the wrong member on the file.  I've also seen
shops that don't do RMVM so you have the work data available for analysis.
Occasionally you have to go in and remove members to clean up the file.  The
cleanup occurs with either a RMVM MBR(*ALL) or a home grown utility to
remove members that have aged past a number of days.

I prefer 3) when the shop will allow it.

Paul

--
Paul Morgan
Senior Programmer Analyst - Retail