perhaps you have a look at the apache jakarta poi project. it's a java lib to
read and write microsoft office documents. you could make calls from rpg to
java to read and write spreadsheet files.

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/index.html

afaik there are allready some examples on the net how to do this.