Steve,

Your UPDATE statement is too complicated.  Asssuming the UPDATE is occuring
on the same file as your SELECT statement the statement should be:

UPDATE library/file
SET field = 'U'
WHERE conditions

You don't need the SELECT statement in your WHERE clause.  As it's already
been mentioned if this is in a RUNSQLSTM source then put a semi-colon at the
end of the statment.

Paul

--
Paul Morgan