Wow Don, those are some FANTASTIC suggestions my friend. Talk about
"thinking outside of the box" !!

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Don
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 10:53 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: ** Son of RPG Redbook lives **

Jon, Susan, et al...

instead of being contracted for a SINGLE book, I'ld like to see you
contrated from a services standpoint...something IBM should be very
familier with by now...

I'ld like to see you take the concept that Leif is doing with the MI400
ebook and take it a bit further.

His ebook is online and is updated on a prn basis.  When something comes
out new or a new area of need comes up, better/different examples, new MI
functionality in a OS400 release....he not only would update the relevant
sections, but in cases issue a new chapter.  We'd get the new stuff just
by doing a download...thereby keeping our own docs up to date.

Further, this could also be turned into something akin to an open source
redbook with the community providing areas of interest, chapters,
sections, examples, etc., for editorial review, validation, approval and
inclusion.

Frankly, eventually, this could become a really nice online volume that
would be a craddle to grave reference of RPG, with open sourced (public
domain) code snippets that people could use on a cut and paste...

Being a online instrument, you could include .wav's, mpgs, etc, so that
people could in effect sit in a mini-how-to session (kinduva mini-FTN if
you remember those great but very hard to learn about sessions..)

The potential here is really wide open...:)

You could also take from the concepts we had wanted to use on
iseriesnation.COM long ago of putting user group lectures, etc., on the
web, but taking a seminar on a topic (from COMMON or a LUG, etc) and
putting it up for online review/download....hell, they could even charge a
subscription service fee (hopefully less than my News/400 or iSeries Pro
sub rate) and get all kinds of stuff....and hopefully it wouldn't be
plastered with spam adverts interupting things..

Don in DC