From: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Date: 02/11/05 15:13:11
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How do I use a field called "PAGE" in a database?

Barbara Morris said the following on 1/26/2005 12:32 PM:
> Tom Hightower wrote:
>
>>Customer has a patient records database.  One of the fields is called
>>"PAGE" (Patient Age).
>>
>>Since "PAGE" is a reserved-field in RPG, I'm having a bit of trouble.
>>I've tried prefixing, and renaming the field in I-specs, but neither of
>>those techniques helped.
>>

> Tom, both I-spec renaming and PREFIX work for me.  Did you still get
> compiler errors using those, or did it cause some other problem?

Sorry it's taken so long to respond.

I get a compiler error with this program:

fpatmst    if   e           k disk    prefix('PATIENT.')
dpatient        e ds                  extname(patmst) qualified
  /free
    read(e) patmst patient;
    if not %error() and not %eof();
      dow not %eof();
        dsply patient.page;
        read(e) patmst patient;
      enddo;
    endif;
    *inlr = *on;
  /end-free

Here's the DDS for the file:

       A****************************************************************
       A*    PATIENT MASTER FILE
       A                                      UNIQUE
       A          R PATMSTR                   TEXT('PATIENT MASTER')
       A            PATNUM         9
       A            PAGE           3  0
       A            FNAME         20
       A            LNAME         30
       A*
       A          K PATNUM
  ****************** End of data ****************************************

Here's the compile listing:

                           S o u r c e   L i s t i n g

      1 fpatmst    if   e           k disk    prefix('PATIENT.')

      2

*---------------------------------------------------------------------
         *                               RPG name         External name

         * File name. . . . . . . . . :  PATMST           TOM/PATMST

         * Record format(s) . . . . . :  PATMSTR          PATMSTR

*---------------------------------------------------------------------
      3 dpatient        e ds                  extname(patmst) qualified

      4

      5  /free

*---------------------------------------------------------------------
         * Data structure . . . . . . :  PATIENT

         * External format  . . . . . :  PATMSTR : TOM/PATMST

         * Format text  . . . . . . . :  PATIENT MASTER

*---------------------------------------------------------------------
      6=D PATNUM                         9A

      7=D PAGE                           3P 0

      8=D FNAME                         20A

      9=D LNAME                         30A

     10=IPATMSTR

*---------------------------------------------------------------------
         * RPG record format  . . . . :  PATMSTR

         * Prefix . . . . . . . . . . :  PATIENT. : 0

         * External format  . . . . . :  PATMSTR : TOM/PATMST

         * Format text  . . . . . . . :  PATIENT MASTER

     11=I                             A    1    9  PATIENT.PATNUM

     12=I                             P   10   11 0PATIENT.PAGE

Compilation stopped. Internal failure occurred. Error code is  1.

           * * * * *   E N D   O F   C O M P I L A T I O N * * * * *

Tom