From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Gary Bowers
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 3:58 AM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: ESNDMAIL in RPG - Verification

The simplest method I found for getting confirmations back into the iSeries
was to have ReturnReceipts requested, with a simple mailbox as the target.

Using Outlook add-ins, you can purchase a tiny little add-on, which will DO
SOMETHING when a particular thing occurs - for us, it was processing
attachments, or Automatically transferring some important information (the
details of the return receipt) into the As/400.

(get the information into the /400 as you would like), From PC batch file
transfer, express transfer, FTP, etc. This is a pretty effective way to get
electronic confirmation (and date/timestamps) that important email reports
were actually delivered. Not only can you extract the attachment or data,
you can also kick of the processing of that attachment.  Put this on the
IXS, and you have a 24-hour solution that has the same uptime as your
system.

Some other useful items, when email attachments arrive from customers
containing orders in a particular file format (those are automatically
imported, edited, and staged for confirmation).

Or, when PDF copies of orders arrive, they are automatically printed out at
the closest printer to the staff who handles that type of order.

Not a bad solution for less that $100, most less that $50. We sort of think
of them as 'data plumbing parts'. (This is particularly attractive if you've
every walked through some of the APIs associated with mail on the /400, and
how difficult it is to extract and analyze attachments through those)

HTH:

--Gary Bowers

Information Technology

Charlotte, NC