I agree, but the diehard RPGIII mentality is that I can do this with
modular programming and CALL's.
And they wouldn't use a program called by CALL or a subprocedure in a
service program, that they didn't write themselves anyway.  Heck some of
them wouldn't use a CHAIN if they didn't once crack the MI and figure out
the underlying code.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

Kevin Mohondro <kevin.mohondro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/27/2004 03:36 PM
Please respond to

"'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Fax to

Subject
RE: RPGIII to get a facelift?

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see some of those functions your
requesting. But, you want an incentive to move that the users will see
benefit from? How about decreased development time? Moving production code
to RPGIV with subprocs, service pgms, etc will reduce the time of your
projects. You start spending less time on the functions that happen in
every
program and start spending your time on the problem at hand. Your testing
time is reduced as your standard business rules are placed into one
location...known good, tested and proven code. Users want to see results.
When they make a request for a new inquiry screen or report and you turn
that around faster, that's the result.

As for time for conversion, I don't really see it. Maybe I'm lucky, but,
every program I've ever converted from RPGIII to RPGIV with CVTRPGSRC has
compiled and worked without any modifications or costly conversion time.
Oh,
well there was the minute or so in making a PDM option. Yeah, then there
was
the short amount of time for the command to churn out RPGIV. Sure, it's
still RPGIII in an RPGIV source member. But, it's a start for those who
want
to take baby steps towards the future.

-Kevin