On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 16:36, Rooney, Michael P wrote:
> Joel,
>
> Having used both products, while both are "visual" RPG tools, they are
> distinctively different.  They both provide an excellent mechanism for
> "porting" or running RPG applications on the Windows platform, with
> each providing slightly different approaches to development.

When I visited ASNA's site, they made a big deal about .NET which makes
me wonder if I have to buy additional tools from MS.  I'm not a Windows
developer, so I don't even really know what the big deal is, but it does
make me nervous that VARPG won't be supportable in the future because of
.NET.

> The IBM product is closely aligned with ILE/RPG on the iSeries, thus
> moving of code to VARPG is fairly straight-forward. In fact, using
> compiler directives enables you to have a single version source that
> executes on both platforms (non-GUI).

I'm a little baffled by the idea of a non-GUI VARPG program.  What would
the point really be?  If I want to replicate a Service Program in VARPG,
is that what a DLL is?

> >From a Visual RPG resources perspective,  ASNA provides an excellent visual
> RPG for "dummies" (actually "smarties") tutorial that exposes you to
> much of its feaures while building your first AVR program.

Tutorials are good.

> There is one commercially available book for learning VARPG, but is a little
> "dated".  Not a bad place to start though.

Is that Brian Meyers's book?  He has it listed on his site with a link
to purchase it from Amazon, but Amazon doesn't seem to have it on
theirs.

Thanks,

Joel
http://www.rpgnext.com