Comments in-line:

1) Is VARPG still viable?  Is IBM still developing it?  Is anything
changing in Windows in the foreseeable future to prevent it from
working?

 >> Yes and Yes.  The latest release already has full V5R2 capability -
including free-form support. IBM has also discussed some of the features
they plan on adding in the mailing list.    There are several major
applications and packages out there built with the tool.  If Windows changes
I can't see IBM letting their BP's go hang.

2) Can you use any database or does it have to connect to an iSeries?

 >> iSeries is not required, you can use ODBC or any database that you can
connect to from embedded SQL.

3) What references/resources are recommended for learning VARPG?

 >> Bryan Myers and Jeff Sutherland wrote a JumpStart book that you can get
from Penton.  We also included a little (a thin client exercise) in the RPG
Redbook.  There were also downloadable Labs on the IBM site last time I
looked.  There are also sample programs shipped with the software that show
examples of how to use the various components.  The programming style can be
a "bit RPG II" at times, but the apps are solid and demonstrate the
functionality well.

4) How does VARPG compare to ASNA's Visual RPG?

 >> Tough one - I was involved with VARPG since birth (the product's not
mine) so it is hard for me to be objective.  They both have their fan clubs.
AVR with its .Net integration has more in the way of plug-ins available.
Although VARPG can use VBXs and Java beans.  Personally AVR ties me to MS
and I don't like that.  VARPG's ability to generate Java as well as Windows
executables means I can run it most anywhere.

5) Is there another list for VARPG?  If not, is this the appropriate
list for VARPG questions?

 >> While you will get some support on the CODE400 list, the "right" place
is the news group at news.software.ibm.com.  It is very well supported as
several of the developers hang out there.

Jon Paris
Partner400
www.Partner400.com