Many thanks to all who weighed in.  Very much appreciate the voices of
experience.  Particularly the "jump and don't look back" approach that was
suggested and affirmed by several of you.  So I have jumped...I'll lose a
bit of productivity at first but I think I'll preserve my sanity (what's
left of it).

Best part was the CVTRPGSRC and how I can slowly add more RPG IV specific
code as I get more comfortable with it.  I'll pick up a few manuals as well
and RTFM before I post here  ;-)

I really enjoy classroom training so I'll look at that down the road.  I
like to get the basic's in place, get comfortable on my own and then take a
course or two to fill in the blanks.  Fortunately there are plenty of
resources (this list being one of them).

I may even go back to COMMON some day (I presented about 4 years ago but it
has been a while since I was a "spectator").  RPGWorld looks interesting but
I am always nervous about any event that has no pricing information anywhere
on the site .  If I have to ask, and it isn't posted, it must be too
expensive.  I like to know how much it is before I register for anything.

Hey!  It is easier than I thought to get started!  Thanks for the tips!  And
for you other RPG III folks:  Come on in the water's fine!

Pete Helgren
Value Added Software,Inc.
801.581.1154 x202