Scott,
Thanks for the reply, and the link to the RTF spec.

Alas, but I see the mountain...

I am in a position to limit the complexity of the text that I need in the
printing.  I don't need the full features of a word processor, mostly the
ability to do bold, underline, and font size.  The catch is that the users
would like the ability to copy/paste large amounts of text from other
sources (Word, web, etc.) for quality documentation and store it in database
format that's accessible with existing programming on the iSeries.  My
original intention was to create a small VB/ASP app that allowed the text
entry, massage the text into my stored format (setting the font to my
desired style for simplicity), and then in RPG, make the adjustment to AFPDS
when printing.  The catch is that the existing print program is a heavily
modified manufacturing document that is quite complex in nature, and
unfortunately, overgrown RPG.  It begs to be rewritten, but I can't decide
which task would be more daunting.

At this point, I'm looking at making a limited tag set to do what I need
(<B>, <U>, etc.) and just manage the output with AFPDS.  I'm looking for any
shortcuts though the forest where available.

Charles Abbott
The Persimmon Group, Inc.