Thanks Scott!!  That worked.  Using APIs is pretty cool!

The descriptions provided by IBM are sure difficult to decipher.  Now I am
trying to send a selection parameter, selecting one file (parm 5), and the
API document seems to outline it as follows:

Journal Entries to Receive  Char(*)

Format:

Bin(4) Number of Variable Length Records

Char(*) Variable Length Records

Format:

Bin(4) Length of Variable Length Record

Bin(4) Key

Bin(4) Length of Data

Char(*) Data

Format:

Bin(4) Number in array

10A Filename

10A Library

10A Member

Whew.  It took two cups of coffee to extract all that from the document, but
I translated it into the following data structure:

     D JournalSelect   DS                  Qualified

     D  RecCount                      4B 0 Inz(100)

     D  VarLenRecLen                  4B 0 Inz(285)

     D  Key                           4B 0 Inz(16)

     D  KeyLen                        4B 0 Inz(34)

     D  FileElemCount                 4B 0 Inz(1)

     D  Filename                     10A   Inz('TRANS')

     D  Library                      10A   Inz('E06FILES')

     D  Member                       10A   Inz('TRANS')

When I add the JournalSelect to the Call(P) statement, I get the following
error:

CPF3C82 - Key 123865 not valid for API QjoRetrieveJournalEntries

Now, the value 16 is supposed to be sent as the key.  So I tried viewing the
data structure in hex, and attempted to decode the value 123865 into binary,
then hex, to determine where it is grabbing the key value from, to adjust my
data structure, but I am not sure how the binary coding works for
negative-capable fields.

So I am stuck again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony Carolla

MedAmerica Billing Services, Inc.