From: Jon Paris [mailto:Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 19 November 2003 00:17
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: SQL pre-processor (was RPG IV release levels and complexity)

 >> I know some of the things we want are far more expensive than others; by
forcing us to put dollar amounts on them, you might get a better idea of the
things that REALLY would make it easier for us.

Let me start by saying that I applaud Gina's efforts on the pre-compiler -
given the limitations in which she had to work.

That said ........ <grin>

Even when we eventually get the promised upgrades to the pre-compiler there
will still be a lot missing in terms of support for V5R1 RPG IV let alone
V5R3.  Hans has already commented that we won't be seeing /free support.  So
we're still a minimum of two releases behind.  This for the I/O method of
the future!  Doesn't make the future look too bright.

"some of the things we want are far more expensive than others" - agreed -
but only because Rochester has chosen to put a band-aid on the old
pre-compiler instead of doing it right!  If they had reworked it the way it
should have been done in the first place, none of these problems would
exist.  As a tool builder yourself you should recognize that the idea that
the SQL pre-compiler has to "understand" just about every nuance of RPG is a
really bad architecture.  Rather it should work in partnership with the RPG
compiler.  I know some limited notion of that is being done as part of the
update - but it doesn't go far enough.

Simply put - the current architecture dooms us to forever be playing
catch-up.

If I sound upset it is because I am annoyed that so much money is being
wasted on band-aids when it could have been spent on fixing the problem for
good.  There are folks in Rochester who don't think RPG is worth spending
the money on to do it right.

Jon Paris
Partner400
www.Partner400.com