James Rich wrote:
> But then it gets weird.  I added a little procedure at the bottom of
> this program (after all the O specs, which is where procedures should
> go, right?  I've done this before, so that's one reason I'm surprised at
> what happened next).  The procedure I added appears before the
> compile-time arrays (remember, this is old-school code here).  The
> procedure I added does not reference the record format in question, nor
> does it reference the field WOSTAT.  But now the compile fails!  Now the
> record format is copied into the program (even though it still isn't
> referenced).  Does putting a procedure body at the bottom of a program
> change the way the compiler includes/ignores externally defined
> fields/formats?  I admit that I need to change the screen specs, but why
> did the behaviour of the compiler change when I coded the procedure?

James, the compiler doesn't generate the O specs unless the output
record was referenced.  But since the O specs are generated before the
compiler starts looking at the procedures, as soon as the compiler sees
a P spec, it generates the O specs for all the possible output records,
in case the record might be referenced by a procedure.