Joel,
Do I need to to on or above V5 to run that code in your message?

Juan Robledo
Programmer Analyst

                                         Joel Cochran

                                         <jrc@xxxxxxxxxx>         To:      RPG
programming on the AS400 / iSeries
                                         Sent by:
<rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                         rpg400-l-bounces@        cc:

                                         midrange.com             Subject: Re:
Convert *JOB date alpha to YYMMDD numeric in one
                                                                    EVAL

                                         10/02/2003 03:51

                                         AM

                                         Please respond to

                                         RPG programming

                                         on the AS400 /

                                         iSeries

GA,

%date() will give you the current date, would that be close enough?  If
so, I have a tool in my library (or you could write your own) that will
take a date and return a 6 or 8 digit integer:

 /free
     dateAsInteger( %date() : 6  );
    // '*YMD' is the default.  If you need a different format, there is
    //  third option
    //  dateAsInteger( %date() : 6 : '*MDY' );
    //  check the docs for more details at
    //  http://www.rpgnext.com/docs/rnbdates.php#dateAsInteger
 /end-free

If that wouldn't work, you could replace %date() with any date field,
but that leads to your original conundrum of not knowing the date
format.  There is another routine in my library that might help...

 /free
     myDate = createDate( jobDate );
     // http://www.rpgnext.com/docs/rnbdates.php#createDate
 /end-free

The problem here is that 010203 could be three different dates, Jan 2
2003, Feb 1 2003 , Feb 3 2001.  Check the documentation and you'll see
that you can set a default "resolution" behaviour - you'll have to
decide for yourself if this will work for you.

Of course, if there was a way to determine jobdate's format, most of
this would be moot. Does anyone know if there is an API or anything that
would tell us?

<shameless self-promotion>
-The "xRPG Core Library" is freeware and as such can be used for
commercial purposes and is redistributable.
-It includes over forty procedures, several helpful /copy books and a
couple of command utilities.
-Frequently updated.
-You must be at V5R1.
-Sorry, no source code.