Steve Richter wrote:
Can I still ask about this?  Its important because there are ways to design
web applications that can capitalize on threading ( as the browser user
bounces around from page to page on your site, run a new thread each time
the user jumps out of the normal page driven flow of the site ).

Serializing access to common internal data structures of an rpg pgm can be
handled by a mutex, no?  In Win32 there are a series of CriticalSection APIs
that are made to handle these threading issues.  This way, each thread does
not need its own set of internal data structures. All the threads share the
same data and use mutexs to serialize access.

Of course, then the task is to identify all uses of items in the global structures and add mutexes around all of them. Again, time consuming for development, as well as slowing down the resulting program.

I'm not sure how threading can make the *design* of a web application any easier. Handling the jumping around from page to page is best implemented by maintaining state information for each transaction in some persistent store, like a database.

Cheers! Hans