> From: Booth Martin
>
> That is very clear Joe,  Very clear.  OO owns the concept of information
> hiding.  That is the only way I know of to interpret your words.  Is there
> another interpretation?
>
> My response is "Bull.  Information hiding is not the chattel of
> OO" any more
> than using a pen to write a letter is the property of Bic.

Booth, if I saw what you evidently see, I would say "bull" too.  However,
what you see is evidently beamed down from the planet Vornuvia.  Read again:

"I never said information hiding is only used by OO, I said that information
hiding is an OO concept, required for OO design.  If you don't understand
the difference, then I'm at a loss to explain it further."

What part of this paragraph that leads you to think that I mean that
information hiding is only part of OO?  What word here gets translated by
your mind into the concept of "owns"?  If you can find one, I will dance in
my underwear on Navy Pier.  Otherwise, please just leave me alone.

Now, it could be that you're having a hard time with this phrase:

"One more time: information hiding is an OO concept.  Period."

Perhaps in your mind, the declarative "Period" is being translated to
"Only".  This is not the case.  "Period" is simply meant to emphasize that
the sentence is finished and has no more qualifiers.  Once again, read the
paragraph that specifically states that I don't think information hiding is
exclusive to OO.

If that doesn't sink in, then read this:

INFORMATION HIDING IS NOT EXCLUSIVE TO OO.

If that doesn't work, read this:

OO DOES NOT OWN INFORMATION HIDING.

At this point, having wasted a ton of bandwidth, have I finally gotten my
message through to you?  Or do you insist on arguing?  If so... /dev/null,
kiddo.

Joe