Henk, steve,

At 5/4/03 06:29 AM, you wrote:
Sorry... here I disagree. I know a lot of people, who like me, favors
opensource. When the rpg-ile compiler becomes opensource, we can
crossplatform this language. This opens perspectives. I think that
supporting the rpg-ile to opensource is the way to go. It will keep the
language alive.

1) There has to be general interest in the RPG language to begin with. There seems to be very little of that outside of the existing Midrange community. RPG is perceived to be a dinosaur - not a "cool" language. Making it open source will NOT change that.

2) The RPG ILE compiler (even if it is only in the "linkage" portion, several steps past the parser portion) is closely linked to "ILE technology", which is proprietary to IBM. This means that the details of that process would have to be opened up to the public. If that doesn't happen (and there's no benefit for IBM to make that happen), the product would be pretty much useless to the general public.

3) I think that the language and testing tools are written in a proprietary language, which would be pretty much useless to the general public.

4) I believe that we would end up w/ a bunch of non-standard plug-in libraries, instead of an across the board standard that we can rely on. I for one don't want to have to make sure that I have the latest library plug-in every time a feature is needed.

As much as I would like features to quickly and magically appear in the language, I think that we would lose a lot more by making it open source.

-mark