I believe both sides of this argument are correct, however, there is a big
difference between a line of code being readable and then it being
understandable.    While the move command is very readable, unless you are
familiar with the program, it may take more time to actual understand what the
move command is accomplishing than the /free format statement.

Joe, I am with you on some things, and I am with the majority on the /free
format as well.  One thing I absolutely do not like to hear is "Don't ever use
THAT technique or opcode in a program!".   Well, I beg to differ.  Sometimes,
programming demands us to think outside the box and use the best method to
accomplish what we are doing.   Also, wouldn't it be a dream come true to have
as much time as needed to complete any project?

Anyway, while I love /free format, I do miss the simple move statement.  NOT
because it is easier to read, but it was just easier to code.    Now, they will
go away once I further develope my skills and knowledege of the /free format.
Pretty soon, it will be so routine, that I will feel awkward ever using a move
statement again.  That is how it usually turns out.   Learning something new
usually takes some time to get used to, however, once you do grow accumstomed
to it, using the previous method seems the odd way then.

Regards,

Tracy L. Ball
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
Total Response, Inc.