I like PRTF specs for many reasons although I will admit it took a bit to
convince me.

RLU is an awful product, truly awful.  However I've discovered one thing I
like in a big way.  Write the PRTF and compile it.  Then do a 19 on the PDM
line and look at the output.  Then close it and can choose 'Y' for the
prototype report.  That is invaluable especially with pre-printed forms.  I
don't know another easy way to see if the left side of a field fits in its
allotted space.

Do O=specs allow field positioning of +1?  I didn't learn about +1 until
after I stopped using O-Specs.

Also, I find the keywords  UNDERLINE and HIGHLIGHT add a great deal to a
report's attractiveness and they are very easy to use compared to doing the
same thing in the O-Specs.

When you compile a PRTF you also get compile options so that you won't need
OVRPTRF statements.

I also use Figlet to make headings, copy them onto a screen format, save the
screen format, then copy those lines into the PRTF specs and have an ASCII
ART Heading on a report.

DDS is typically a entry-level task in most shops.  It is important work and
teaches a great deal to a new person.  Adding PRTF specs into that group of
entry-level tasks can only be a good thing.

Booth Martin   http://www.MartinVT.com
Booth@MartinVT.com