IIRC, this thread _is_ about RPG on other platforms....

As Steve Martin used to say on SNL, "Well, Excuuuuuuuuuse Meeeeeeeee".  I
was posting an answer to the question that was asked.

I did not say that AVR _emulates_ VB6, I just pointed out that its IDE works
very much like Visual Studio.  This makes the learning curve for AVR very
short if you already know VB6.   I don't recall saying anything about it
being a stepping stone to VB6.

I know just enough about VB6 to be dangerous.  When I began working with
AVR, I found that the learning curve for developing applications in AVR was
short for me, a 22-year RPG programmer (S/34, S/36, S/38, AS/400), with the
sparse knowledge that I have of VB6.

I went through ASNA's tutorial in approximately 2 weeks, during which time I
developed a prototype for an application that did _both_ RPG file operations
against an iSeries database _and_ OLE DB access against an Oracle 8
database.  I also used AVR to create an ActiveX component that could be
executed by any language that can use ActiveX components.

FYI, I have also been told by VB/AVR programmers more experienced than me
that AVR has better error-handling capabilities than VB6.

Steve Landess
Austin, Texas
(512) 423-0935