> From: Scott Klement
>
> So...  keep using the original code.   If you want things to remain the
> same so that you don't have to re-debug them, why are you changing the
> code?  i.e., why convert them to free-form?

With that logic, my code would still be RPG II with internally described
fields.  Are you saying that you want there to be two separate, distinct
sets of code - freeform and non-freeform?  Any development managers hearing
this should be cringing.  Even IBM knew they had to provide CVTRPGSRC, even
if it wasn't very complete.  Have you seen a corresponding tool for
freeform?  (Linoma's tool, BTW, is very good for this.  But they're a
partner of mine, so my opinion is biased <grin>)

> But...  nothing was removed.  Instead, new functions were added.   I agree
> that it is frustrating that you can't do everything yet in free-form.

Man, now you're in full quibble mode.  Does the compiler team pay you?
<grin>.  Any part of a freeform program that requires /endfree is NOT
supported by freeform.  Not only that, but between you, me and the wall, I
have a funny feeling they may remove the /endfree from a future release.

> However, I'd rather have the features become available shortly after
> they're written, then wait 10 years for them to completely add or rewrite
> every possible feature of the language before it's initial release.

Ah crap.  The %move BIF would take a decent programmer a couple of weeks.
And if you're not willing to write that BIF, then leave the old syntax in.
How much work would it have been to support the MOVE instruction as I
described above?  Allow "MOVE X Y" and deprecate it until the %move BIF is
available.

I notice in your arguments, Scott, that you tend to see things as "all or
nothing", just like your HTML vs. X argument.  Me, I see opportunities to
allow me to embrace new technologies within my legacy systems while moving
towards rewriting parts of my code - AT MY OWN PACE.  Once my compiler
vendor starts dictating how my business applications should look, then I
have some real issues because frankly very few compiler architects have a
clue how to use a computer application to keep a business profitable.

Instead, how about giving us a reasonable solution today while working
towards a comprehensive solution tomorrow?

Joe