On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Joe Pluta wrote:

> > Unless you write your own procedure/function to do these sorts of common
> > date manipulations.  What goes on inside the function (MOVE) is irrelevant
> > to the fact that you can use your own function Exactly The Same Way you
> > would use an IBM BIF.
>
> The problem with this statement is that now I have to write a BIF to do what
> already works in previous code.  This is added work on my part, with zero
> return on my investment.  I have to not only write the BIF, but also debug
> it to make sure it handles all the situations that same way that the
> original code did.

So...  keep using the original code.   If you want things to remain the
same so that you don't have to re-debug them, why are you changing the
code?  i.e., why convert them to free-form?

> It is not reasonable to do that just to use a new version of the compiler.
> What's next?  Remove the %trim function and let me write my own?

But...  nothing was removed.  Instead, new functions were added.   I agree
that it is frustrating that you can't do everything yet in free-form.

However, I'd rather have the features become available shortly after
they're written, then wait 10 years for them to completely add or rewrite
every possible feature of the language before it's initial release.