well, Hans,  I would consider it, if I had a clue about which (or which
combination) of functions might help me.   I know next to nothing about C,
and the list of string functions in the manual didn't seem to have anything
that was helpful (though i certainly could have missed it).

in the meantime, I've almost finished with the strait RPG version.  it's
not pretty, and I'm sure i could improve on it, but if i get it working to
my satisfaction, i'll post it to the list for critique.

thanks,

rick

Hans said:
<snip, snip>
>> compares would result in:
>>
>> 1. would match a. only
>> 2. would match c. only
>> 3. would match a, b and c.
>

> Have you considered using regular expressions to perform this type
> of comparison?  Here's a link to a discussion at the MCPressOnline
> web site that discusses how to call the RE functions from RPG:

<http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc?128=YaLl3jmhiEqLvK1fdRuRP4o3RLmEciix@public.gmane.org3d778947>

Yikes! The mailing list software messed up that URL nicely!

Try this instead:

http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc?128%40251.VZPuaBTYXXY.12%40.3d778947

Cheers!  Hans