Or I am just simply too stupid and stubborn to see what is going on -

Here is what I have -
A program that will run 24/7 waiting for a scanning device to feed it
a scan into the program - using write/read since I already knew that
exfmt does not work with record wait;  with the dds as a wait record of
7195 -
just under our system setting of device auto shut down value, it does not
work, I have the
invite keyword and the frcdta keyword in the dds, along with a dummy assume
record in the format.   But if I downplay the timeout to say 10 seconds for
testing,
nothing happens.

Here is what I need to happen, wait for up to 7195 seconds for user input,
then
do a dummy process to keep the session "alive", however I cannot use a
dataq method due to the fact that once the program is scanning product,
it is coming across a conveyer belt and I need the program to process the
scans at roughly two per second. The examples I looked over with dataq
at least appeared to wait on the dataq, then read the screen, and if nothing
was done, then do another read forever until the user entered something,
which
in my case would mean the system would shut down the sessions after 2 hours

I want the screen to wait for input and process it in micro-seconds,
otherwise
I want it to simply not auto shut down once it has been idle for the 2
hours -

Am I just dense/missing something, or is this not the way to do this?

TIA

Mark A. Manske
Fleming CSD - Plymouth Division
Sr. Project Lead