I think the real answer is "it depends."  The department head here started
as an operator, became a programmer, and then a manager.  He's good at all
three.  He's well known for his ability to read tapes by passing them
between two fingers.  (It's OK, he doesn't read this list. If I want to
flatter him I'll have to do it to his face. <g>)