Simon said:

>All of this can be done with Rexx although
>it does have limited built-in file support.
>That support can be added programmatically
>and I would like to see IBM add full file
>support to Rexx before it adds additional
>file support to CL.

I've used ReXX for recent scripting needs and it's very elegant, but that
doesn't help my several thousand CL programs written in the /38 days alas.
There is always the problem of time and money in any development
organisation.  Perhaps IBM will see there's demand for script language
enhancements and allocate additional funding in that area (instead of
pilfering the RPG compiler funds or, God forbid, from the SQL precompiler
funds!)

A very thought provoking thread.  I wonder what would *I* do if I held the
purse strings?  What audience would I try to satisfy best?
  --buck