I am using EOFDLY  in OVRDBF.  Rather than doing a delay loop or
using a DATA QUEUE (its simply a matter of preference, I am not
interested in holy wars about which is better).  The programs wait
for records to be written to a file in EOFW state then perform
some action.  I have on V4R4 needed to do a FEOD to get the
waiting program to recognise the 'end of file' condition, and also
to ensure that the latest record was processed.

I have on the S38 had a application that was doing blocked
record (sequential output, the compiler did the blocking)
writes that needed to be picked up quickly by a processing
program and I had to do FEOD to make sure that I picked up
all the records that were written.

The following is from the IBM help text.
<quote>
OVRDBF FILE(A) EOFDLY(10)

EOFDLY  help text.
 *NONE
 number-of-seconds
     Specify the number of seconds that the program waits between
     attempts to get a record when an end of file condition occurs.  No
     end of file is signaled until force end of data occurs, or until the
     job is ended with the *CNTRLD option.  Valid values range from 1
     through 99999 seconds.
<end quote>

I hope this satisfies your curiosity and expands your experience.
Not facetious just pedantic.

I also would like to know if FEOD helped.

Frank Kolmann