>for your 3rd test, do you mean the
>non-blank statement was longer than 80?
>or less than 80 but it had half before
>and half after the 80th column?

The latter.

>What did the compile listing look like?
>did it do line wrapping or some
>such to show the free code?

No, it truncated at column 100, so for a statement that began at column 101
all the listing shows is a blank line.  Not that email will preserve the
formatting, but here's the failing third test:

000043 c/free
020314     000043
000044   if %parms > 1;
B01       020314     000044
000045
decPoint = %subst(de           020314     000045
000046     comma    = %subst(decComma : 2 : 1);
01       020314     000046
000047   endif;
E01       020314     000047

It's pretty clear that the listing is intended to work with the 'new' 112
byte record length, where there are 100 columns of source data.  This is a
pretty broad hint that the recommended record length is the one to use...

  --buck