>"eval c = a + b" has a lot more information than "move a b" if both
>statements compile.  In the plus sign case you know that all three
variables
>are the same data type.  In the move case there's a little more
uncertainty.
><g> Joel Fritz

Joel,
Taken in the light spirit of your context.

I'd have to argue about "a lot more information"   Yes, you know they are
the same type. However I feel that is nowhere as important as "What's it
doing".

We have to just face it,  MOVE and MOVEL are powerful opcodes that we have
had for more than 30 years.  30 Years,  I mean 30 years. That coupled with
the fact that we aren't getting thousands of new people into RPG each year,
It would seem that most RPG programmers should know how to use it and what
it does.  It ain't that hard to use them. They do  a very specific function
very very well(as does MOVEA).

Do I use them much?  No,  Not at all.  I have converted 99% of them to some
form of EVAL.  The nice thing for me in my shop(qualified statement) If we
see a MOVE function,  we know we are doing some very specific byte
manipulation. It is still one of the easiest way of moving (say) a 2 byte
numeric and a 4 byte numeric into a 6byte alpha.
Can I do it with D/S's ?  Yes,   I said ONE of the Easiest ways.

Tools are just tools,  Use each for what they are good for.

Respectfully
John