David,

I understand the subtle point that you are making, which is (correct me
if I'm wrong) that as a commercial software provider I can not include
GPL software within my product, but can point out that there is an open
source dependency that must be included in the overall installation for
my software product to work.  And I can provide that software, for a
fee, as a part of my installation package.

Is this a fair understanding of what you stated?

If so, you need to read the GPL again.  The GPL specifically states that
if any GPL module or code snippet is used that the entire product MUST
be GPL.  It's not just modification of, but also includes use of.

But then again, lawyers make their income by the splitting of hairs.  As
John pointed out, the FUD factor of GPL is enough to keep most "will
code for pay" people away.

J. Kilgore