This does it in the same program. 2 short subroutines, couple d specs.
No other special pieces necessary.
Just exsr $PAUSE, the 2:*seconds says 'Wait for 2 seconds please, thanks'.

      *
      * Current Time/date/timestamp fields...
     D  cur_tm         S               T
     D  fut_tm         S               T
      *

     C     $PAUSE        BEGSR

      * Induce a ..Pause...........at least for Testing so i can see
      *                                 ..what they hey! is going on.
      *
     C                   EXSR      $CURTIME
     C     cur_tm        adddur    2:*seconds    fut_tm
      *
     C                   dou       cur_tm > fut_tm
     C                   EXSR      $CURTIME
     C                   enddo
      *
     C                   ENDSR

     C     $CURTIME      BEGSR

      * Get the Current time.......
      *
      *   Get System time-date.....hhmmssddmmyy...
     C                   TIME                    SYSCLOCK         12 0
     C                   MOVEL     SYSCLOCK      PGCURTM           6 0
     C                   MOVE      PGCURTM       cur_tm
      *
     C                   ENDSR

Yeah, it processes every .001 or whatever, but I don't use it constantly/ a
lot.
It may not be the 'high volume/useage' answer.

John B.