Bob

Do you suppose this might have to do with ensuring that the program object
produced by the compilation process conforms to the Operating System
release ? It seems to me in an object-based system that the object will be
pretty much tied to the OS version in terms of how its internal structure
is organised, therefore the compiler needs to compile to a specific version
to produce an executable.

I guess that to do what you want - i.e. V5R9M0 compiler can produce code
with NEW features that executes on V5R1M0) the either:

- The earlier machines will be applying PTF's every time a new feature is
added to the language to support compilers up to whatever level the
developers are using.
or
- No new features will be added to the language between versions

Sounds like a proposal for an AS/400 version of DLL hell to me if you do
the PTF thing.

Evan Harris

<SNIP>
>for them.  There is no reason a compiler needs a specific release unless
>the compiler is using a new feature in that release to compile code. I
>don't see how making them compatible with all supported releases is a
>problem.
>
>Bob Cozzi
>cozzi@rpgiv.com
>Visit the on-line  Midrange  Developer  forum at: http://www.rpgiv.com