Doug,

Scott Klement said it:  I find it hard to believe that any editor would
make me significantly more productive than I already am with SEU, after 12
years of "getting used to it" (the as/400 version).  I too can crank out
the code at an alarming rate.

Yes, I'm in the habit of using what you call 'workarounds', but if you are
accustomed to them, they aren't workarounds, they features of the editor or
they are just how you do your work.

I'm not desparaging the pc editors themselves or those who use them,
especially if you are doing a lot of other types of coding (html, java,
javascript, vb, etc.)  I'm just saying that for me, switching from SEU to a
pc editor would be counter-productive in the near-to-long term, and
wouldn't make me MORE productive for a very long time.

>>I then use Client Access alt-right or left to get where I want.
(next/prev
>>field).

>I assume you mean ctrl instead of alt, or else you like to use unusual key
>mappings.  But it is *not* next/prev field -- it is next/prev "word".  And
>therein lies a *big* difference.

oops.  yeah, yeah, my fingers knew what I meant....  :)

as for tabs and skeleton lines, I just never saw a big advantage.  factor
one is rarely used anymore, I can get to the opcode field quickly by
shift-(or alt, or ctl, depending on your mapping)-right, whether it's a
blank line or a copied line.  after typing the opcode, I can press enter,
and 90% of the time I'm positioned in the next needed factor position (1,
2, result, whatever).  tabs and skels just aren't a significant time
savings for me more than about 20% of the time.

>    Eval result=%scan(search:array(index):start)

>it knows to stop on the %, the s of search, the a of array, the i of
>and the s of start.  Even though there is no whitespace.
>(For the record, I normally leave a space around each "word" anyway
because
>I think it is easier to read.

I too use spaces between arguements, so that's a moot point to me.
the colorization of different elements would be very nice while coding a
complex multi-nested bif equation, but that would save me around 10 or 15
seconds of eyeballing my unfriendly GREEN fatfingered expression, maybe
once or twice a week.  that's 30 seconds a week.  what a savings!  ;P

>But also because it is easier to navigate when
>forced to revert to SEU and only have the ability to stop after
whitespace.)

Which is one of the reason why I've resisted pc based editors in the past.
I'm a consultant/contractor.  have been for 18 years. I have to be able to
jump on a 5250 or someone elses pc and be productive immediately.  I don't
want to have to "force myself to revert" back to thinking SEU.  and I'm not
going to carry around a cd with CODE or flex/edit to install wherever I end
up this week.  the clients frown on installing stuff they arent familiar
with that has tcp access to thier precious 400.  something about some
misguided security issues and all that.... ;), plus - unlimited licensing
agreements get a little pricy!

> One press of a keyboard shortcut and I can instantly highlight an entire
> block, or jump to the matching begin/end statement.  Regardless of the
> number of levels nested inside it or how far away it is.  And then if the
> code calls a subroutine or a subprocedure, another shortcut key and I'm
> instantly transfered to the start of the routine to review it.  No need
> press F10 and a find command. I'm looking at the routine by the time your
> cursor rests on the top line. Peruse the routine (and maybe jump to other
> routines), then press a couple of keys and I'm right back where I was.
> Without the need to remember any line numbers or other silly crutches.

the only thing here that I see as a feature I can't reproduce is the
ability to go to the end of a logical construct. this WOULD be handy, but
only moderately so.  I liberally use "xx" line commands to hide blocks of
code to help me with this.

The other stuff, I can achieve with just a few more keystrokes.  and I can
type faster than I can think.  I don't use silly crutches.  I use the
editor and it's functions.  for instance, if I want to peruse a subroutine
without losing my place:

xx in line number under where I want to return;
<f10>;
replacerow1;

-----
 Columns . . . :    6 100                                       Edit
 SEU==> replacerow1
1172.00 C                   if        %scan('<!--*':SrcDtaX) > 0
1173.00 C                   exsr      $ReplaceRow1
1174.00 C                   end
XX75.00
-----

<f16> twice, another xx on the line number and <enter>
this is what I get:

-----
 Columns . . . :    6 100                                       Edit
 SEU==>
1172.00 C                   if        %scan('<!--*':SrcDtaX) > 0
1173.00 C                   exsr      $ReplaceRow1
1174.00 C                   end
- - - - ------------ 107 data records excluded
-----------------------------
1287.00 C     $ReplaceRow1  begsr
1288.00
1289.00 C                   dow       %scan('<!--*':SrcDtaX) > 0   and
1290.00 C                             %scan('<!--*EndRw1-->':SrcDtaX) = 0
1291.00
1292.00 C                   select
1293.00
etc........
-----
I can look at and change my subroutine, and i haven't lost my place.  even
if I did, I press f16 twice more and I'm back where I started.

now, sure it takes more keystrokes, but only about 5-6 seconds total
elapsed time.   sure, not elegant or flashy, but VERY workable and I do
this all the time without even thinking - it's totally second nature.  I'm
on to thinking about what I have to do once I get there.

>>there aren't enough features to make me force myself to switch.

>In all seriousness, then you need to look at the features again.  The
problem
>most people have with something like CODE or Flex Edit or CodeStudio, is
that
>they try to use it just like SEU.  They don't learn to take advantage of
the
>paradigm shift you can make in how you code.

that's my problem with your argument - it _IS_ a paradigm shift!  you want
me to forget 18 years of experience and shortcut i've ever learned in my
editor of choice and completely re-learn them on your's.  yet, you say I
should be up and more productive in hours, not weeks.  then, when I'm in an
unfamiliar environment, I have to re-remember how I used to do things, and
still feel productive.

All I'm saying is that pc editors wouldn't make _ME_ significantly more
productive than I already am with SEU.

If I had learnt on a pc editor first, or if there was at least an 80%
penetration of a particular editor in the 400 marketplace (my experience is
less than 5% for any pc editor at all), maybe I would have eschewed SEU
years ago.  but I haven't and the odds of me doing so get worse every day.

Like I said, I'm sure they are really great tools and can make you very
productive, they just aren't for everybody, and just because I don't use
them doesn't make me less productive or a dinosaur.

ttfn,

rick