Thanks for the tip on the appropriate manual.  In section 2.2.5.2.20
Initializing Output/Input Fields, it says: "Output-only fields are not part
of the input buffer unless they are part of a subfile record, in which case
they are saved as if they were output/input fields."

I'm not sure how someone at the level of ignorance I was yesterday would
have hit on that section.  Today I just searched on "input buffer."

Let me get this straight--Is it safe to say that only file fields that make
it to a program's input buffer will show up in an externally defined data
structure?  Are there other situations like this one with display files?
"Aberration" is a nice temperate term.  I'm assuming this is a holdover from
the days when bandwidth constraints were a lot more important.

NOTICE:
All e-mail sent to or from this e-mail address will be received or otherwise
recorded by The Sharper Image corporate e-mail system and is subject to
archival, monitoring, review by and/or disclosure to Sharper Image security
and other management.  This message is intended only for the use of the
addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication
is prohibited.