I've been following this thread for a while; wondering whether to add to it
or not.  The funny thing is, I often use pointers, but still agree with Hans
that they don't really belong in RPG.  The reason I often use pointers is
that I write and maintain numerous utilities, but, like Hans stated, that is
more in the realm of systems programming than application programming.  Had
I had a C compiler available, I would probably had used it.

RPG has evolved from a quite simple, but very efficient tool into a real
programming language.  And although I am enthusiastic about almost all
enhancements (with a strong exception for activation groups, but that is not
really an RPG issue), the effect is that RPG programming has shifted from a
business oriented activity that required little technical knowledge to
'real' programming.  That is fine and dandy for techies like myself, so many
more possibilities to do what we need (alright, want) to do, but it makes
life more complicated for the non-technical programmers.

We used to teach new programmers about database design, business rules and
our applications.  And, oh yeah, we showed them how to use RPG, DDS, CL, SDA
and SEU, and how to build a new program from a template.  Nowadays they have
to know about activation groups, service programs, binding directories, etc.
We still have 'old fashioned' programmers who don't really care about RPG
III or IV (for them it's like switching to a new car: it might be better
than the old one, but all the controls are in different places), but the new
programmers have to be more technical.

So as a systems programmer I enjoy all the new goodies of RPG IV and as an
application programmer I regret the shift away from the simple tool.

Joep Beckeringh
(Definitely category a; very pointyhead)