Joe,

     Basing each key might be more lines of code -- but then again it
might be less.   The way you're doing it, you need to do a new set of
MOVEs each time the screen is used.   With based keys, you only have to
do it once at the beginning.

Furthermore, what happens if the program changes a function key?  It's
possible to do a "SETOFF" or "SETON" of *INKx keys.   With the move
method, you'd have to move all of the compatible keys TO the *INKC before
displaying the screen, and move them back AFTER displaying the screen.
This would not be necessary using pointers.

I agree that if the indicators are always contiguous that basing them as a
group is nicer -- but personally, I wouldn't trust that method unless it's
documented by IBM to always be contiguous...

Just trying to give you some possibilities to think about...