Just as a warning, treating the record as one large field could result
in mis-identifications.  The asterisk has a value of x'5C' and this
value could easily be found in integer/binary fields within the record,
and potentially in packed fields (though this is not real likely if
the data was generated on an iSeries).  To avoid this you would need
to use APIs such as List Fields (QUSLFLD) to determine which offsets
and lengths within each record correspond to character fields.

Bruce